ADA Accessibility Information
Accessibility

A
A

A
background image art3 1

Non Profits


We are very fortunate in Nazareth to have a great many nonprofits operating in our downtown. When visiting us, check out these great organizations

Nazareth Center for the Arts



MISSION: To educate, inspire and celebrate the visual and performing arts in Nazareth and the Lehigh Valley.

The Nazareth Center for the Arts (NCA), run by the Nazareth Cultural and Arts Commission of the Borough of Nazareth, is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) charitable community arts based organization. All donations to the center are tax deductible. We opened our doors to the public in December of 2009 and offered nearly 100 events and meetings in our first year of operation.

Music performances spanning a wide range of genres, art receptions, poetry readings, storytelling, and open mic nights were among the main activities presented. Today, the Center continues to conduct a wide variety of events and offers classes in art and acting.

The Center is ADA compliant and unique in that it features a combination Performance Hall and Art Gallery. Performance seating is limited to 60 creating an intimate, listening venue, ideal for music lovers who appreciate fine musicianship and aren’t interested in competing with the noise typically found at a bar or cafe. The space encourages interaction between the audience and musicians resulting in a memorable experience as songs and the songwriting process are discussed.

We pride ourselves on providing a diversity of styles by talented musical performers in a family friendly environment. Expect to see soloists, duos, ensembles, and bands and hear modern and traditional forms of blues, classical, country, electronic, jazz, folk, new age, rock, and world in both acoustic and electric shows.

Nazareth Center for the Arts

Memorial Library of Nazareth


The mission of the Memorial Library of Nazareth & Vicinity is to inspire and enrich the lives of the residents in our supporting municipalities by offering valuable lifetime literacies and a community centric service approach.

The library will be the community center of the municipalities we serve, where members of the community share experiences, information, and cultivate relationships.
The purpose of the Memorial Library of Nazareth and Vicinity is to provide books, story times, and Internet access. However, our library offers more than that. The library provides a variety of services and access to many resources. It is not our mission to provide these services and resources. It is through these services and resources that the library strives to fulfill its mission, this is our unique reason to exist. The methods of how we accomplish our mission are fluid, but the relevance of our mission continues.

Memorial Library of Nazareth

Moravian Historical Society


Established in 1857, the Moravian Historical Society is the third oldest historical society in Pennsylvania. The museum offers permanent and changing exhibitions, as well as a gift shop. We are open daily from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. or by appointment (except major holidays).

The handsome three-and-a-half story Whitefield House that was begun by in 1740 is today home to the Moravian Historical Society. Over the centuries, the building has served the Moravian community in several capacities. It was the first place of worship in Nazareth, it was a boarding school for Moravian girls, a nursery for the children of missionaries, and an early home to the Moravian Theological Seminary. Until the 1990s it served as apartments for retired ministers and missionaries on furlough.

Today the museum provides outstanding educational opportunities for those interested in history, religion, art, and music. Many of the items on exhibit are one of a kind or extremely rare. Among these treasures are original paintings by John Valentine Haidt; early American textiles, pottery, and household objects; fine examples of early gunmaking in America; historic musical instruments, and other objects relevant to early American history and to Moravian history.

Moravian Historical Society

Nazareth Branch of the Greater Valley YMCA


The Nazareth Branch of the YMCA focuses their work in three key areas, because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to strengthening communities.

The Greater Valley YMCA is a volunteer-led, nonprofit, community organization. The Y is committed to strengthening community by positively changing lives every day. At each of our branches, we concentrate our efforts in three areas: Healthy Living, Youth Development, and Social Responsibility. And we do so in a way that upholds the Y’s traditional family values of Respect, Responsibility, Caring, and Honesty.

For over 100 years, the Y has made a tangible difference in the community of Nazareth.

Greater Vallery YMCA

Vigilance Hose Company No.1


In a meeting held on May 10, 1897, civic minded Nazarenes organized The Vigilance Hose Co. No. 1. The organization of this fire company was the offspring of two previously organized Nazareth fire companies. The first, the Moravian Fire Company, organized in 1791 and the second, the Mechanic fire company, organized May 5,1812.
According to the records concerning this organizational meeting, a resolution was passed to accept by-laws such as the laws enforced by the Liberty Hose Co. No.2 of South Easton and abide by these until their own could be drawn up.

One week later on May 17, 1897 this same group met again for the purpose of giving their organization a name and appointing members to definite positions. The first names proposed were those of “Humane” “Citizens” and “Reliance." However after a ballot vote, the name Vigilance Hose Co. No.1 was accepted as the official title. At this meeting E.A. Clewell was elected fire chief, H. Hartly, foreman of hose and H.C Brockman assistant foreman of hose. Other positions appointed were: Hose men, plug men, ax men, watchmen, and bellmen. Note: the bellmen in those days were obliged to perform the duty of sounding the alarm by tolling the bell of the Moravian Church. The same bell which is being used by the local Moravian congregation, served as the first fire alarm system in Nazareth.
Being organized, Vigilance Hose Co. No.1 began accepting applications for membership. The first members to join were Joseph Shafer, Morris Frable, Morris Haldeman George Boerstler, John Renner, Amandus Renner, Robert Keller, Charles Frankenfield, and Palmer Flick.

The regular monthly meetings were held at the Commercial House on South Main Street (building is no longer in existence)

In 1902 a building was constructed on Belvidere Street to house fire apparatus, club rooms, council rooms and comfort stations. (This building currently houses The Nazareth Center for the Arts)
This building housed the fire department until 1980 when the current fire station was built on South Broad Street.

Please dial 911 if you are having an emergency.
Vigilance Hose Company No.1
Copyright © 2023-2024 Nazareth Economic Development Commission and WEO Media (Touchpoint Communications LLC). All rights reserved.  Sitemap | Links
Nazareth Economic Development Commission, 30 Belvidere St. PO Box 23, Nazareth, PA 18064 ^ 484-291-1309 ^ nazarethpanow.com ^ 7/18/2024